Winter Rodeo

Winter Rodeo
2014

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I got the Toxicity on Me

The assignment was to choose something from my everyday routine that I use and check the ingredients against the CosmeticsDatabase for toxins.  As you may know, most of the time when a company posts the ingredients on the packaging it done from greatest to least.  Also

Aussie Moist Shampoo


Manufacturer: Proctor & Gamble (I didn't know that!)

Ingredients:
  • Water
  • Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
  • Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
  • Sodium Chloride
  • Glycol Distearate
  • Dimethicone
  • Ammonium Xylenesulfonate
  • Citric Acid
  • Cetyl Alcohol
  • Cocamide MEA
  • Parfum (8)- BAD FOR YOU!
  • Polyquaterium-10
  • Sodium Citrate
  • Hydrogenated Polydecene
  • Sodium Benzonate
  • Disodium EDTA - "One or more animal studies show brain and nervous system effects at low dose", "Cancer"
  • PEG-7M
  • Trimethylloproanettricaprylate/ Tricaprate
  • Ecklonia radiata extract - (Sea kelp)
  • Aloe barbadensis leaf juice
  • Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil
  • Methylchlorisothiazolinone  (6)
  • Methylisothiazolinone (6)
  • Yellow 5
  • Red 4
The outcome:

Firstly, typing out that list of ingredients was insane.  I didn't know that there were that many letters in the alphabet.  Who does that?  Seriously, I dont think that I can pronounce two-thirds of the list.  Plus, it took me like 15 minutes to get through it and type it all out.

-  What is in "Fragrance" that can kill you?  I don't know either but I am going to avoid that.
- I don't know what Methylchlorisothaiazolinone does but it sounds painful.

I think I am going to have to get back to the hippy stuff.

Tea Tree Oil on my dome piece, fo sho!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From Wendy: did you do any additional research on one of the ingredients? You're right, just typing out the list is informative.

Would you mind emailing me your assignment, Thom? I do most of my grading at home and we have terrible internet access here - it takes forever for your blog to load, for example.

Interesting Perspective

I am always looking for new and interesting perspectives on Snowboarding, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing, Action Sports, and Marketing. Along with those topics some related issues that interest me are Sustainable Marketing and bridging the gap between the growing nature of businesses and the goal of enhancing the current sports industry business model to a healthier design for all!