Winter Rodeo

Winter Rodeo
2014

Monday, May 10, 2010

Transworld Business Sustainability Series

I have been a board sport enthusiast for almost all of my years on the planet.  When I was a youngster my Dad got me my first Variflex skateboard that would always veer to the left due to shitty trucks.  As I grew older I would scrounge up my change and whatever money I could make selling baseball cards to purchase new decks, trucks, wheels, bearings, etc.  Every time I would snap a board or break a kingpin I would have to go to the local shop and spend my flow on new gear.  As years have gone by I have noticed that there is a lot of waste that happens on the user side of the industry, from broken boards to the desire to have the newest style clothes, shoes, or fashion accessories.


On the business side of the house there has been an emerging trend towards focusing on improving the existing model.  Transworld Business began a series of articles that highlight these improvements and what individual companies are doing to make their own impact.  This morning I awoke to the newest installment in my email,


"Volcom’s Sustainability Czars On Going Green V.Co-Logical Style"


I think that these are great strides that are being made by larger companies that have the presence in the industry to leverage the smaller, up-and-comers to look towards sustainable business models from their inception.  Check out the article linked above to see the Volcom Director of Sustainability and Social Responsibility's and Merchandise Manager's interview. 

No comments:

Interesting Perspective

I am always looking for new and interesting perspectives on Snowboarding, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing, Action Sports, and Marketing. Along with those topics some related issues that interest me are Sustainable Marketing and bridging the gap between the growing nature of businesses and the goal of enhancing the current sports industry business model to a healthier design for all!